Tapping Into Culture...

So it's a month until ms. Autumn's 3rd B-day. where does the time go?! Oh, I know I'll be asking myself that alot over the next many a year. I'm just practicing you see.
We were going to try to do a little party thing at the Zoo....but we've opted for a trip to the zoo that Saturday the 6th (since we don't have the 4th off...) followed by a party afterwards at our home or G's dad's home.

Speaking of Saturday Sept. 6th...
I enrolled Autumn into CCAI's JCCC classes which start that day and run through next May. They're an hour long and Saturday mornings. I just enrolled her into the 2-3yr old program which is the first one...first level and I get to attend with her. I figured it'd be just as well to start at the beginning even though she's doing extremely well at daycare/preschool. I've been telling her about it and she is quite excited to get to learn new things...Chinese cultural things. I've been occasionally trying to teach her a few words of Mandarin. the basic stuff obviously since I'm not a master of the language by any means. She tells me "wo ai ni!" and I've recently taught her wanan (goodnight). She knows 'Ni Hao!' (alot because of the show Ni Hao Kai Lan too) and ZaiJian! (goodbye!). And of course 'xie xie' because she should be polite. Every once in awhile I'll ask her how to say something...for example bye-bye in Chinese and she'll look at me a second then say "bye-bye in Chinese!" and then grin. (smart-ass girlie...just like her dad. hehe!)

I had training last Monday/Tues/Weds out in San Francisco. I ended up bringing G and Autumn along because they wanted to go and Autumn was really sad the last time I had to go to something work related and was gone a few days. We left Sunday morning and stayed at a hotel a couple of blocks from Chinatown. It was wonderful. we could just walk there and we had a fun time perusing the stores and places. Some of it reminded us of being in ChongQing or in GuangZhou. We spent Monday morning up at Pier39 then drove by the Golden Gate Bridge on our way to So. San Fran where the training class was. G and Autumn drove back up to the Wharf area Tuesday while I was in class then left that evening to come back home. I stayed until Wednesday afternoon and then flew back. It was a quick but nice little get-away for the family.

This summer has gone by fast. too fast. And we've had a record breaking heat wave here in Denver the past couple of weeks. It's been kind of tough because we want to get out but sometimes we've opted to just stay inside where it's cool...or go out to places we can be indoors. There's been a few things and places we wanted to get to and do but suddenly it's one week into August already and opportunities get fewer and fewer. G and I have already had the realisation and discussion of how we're going to have to re-think where and when we do our excursions in two more years when Autumn starts going to Kindergarten. And when we start to think that "oh well it's still two more years..." then we realise that as fast as this year has seemed to go by, it'll be here before we know it.

Well, I'll try to get back on and write some more soon. Until then, here are some of the many photos I took in San Fran. :)





Erhu for change


sunrise out our hotel window in so. san fran.


grant st. at evening time. (it was foggy quite a bit there hence not much of a sky)


"what was that mr. lion?!"


main entrance to Chinatown (Grant St.)


a new friend (a very nice girl who ran one of the shops. she's only been in San Fan and not travelled anywhere else in the US. We suggested she come out to Colorado.)


an A for effort


'Lonely Playground'


looking down Grant St.

No comments: