the yin and yang of Autumn Rose





Okay all those with toddlers will tell me that the whole "one day (or moment) they're wonderful and then the next day (or moment) they're monsters" is par for the course. Well we definitely got to see the good, bad, and ugly of toddlerdom the past few days.

Tuesday was kind of a wash as far as the weather goes. It wasn't any better than Monday except that it didn't rain and the wind wasn't as bad. We started off with AR being totally defiant and whiny and you name it. She didn't want to eat breakfast which was the first bad sign. This only led to more crankiness later when it came around to lunchtime. There wasn't much of a nap-time for ms. Autumn which again was not a good omen for the afternoon/evening. We made the mistake of going out to pick up a few things at 'World Market' and 'Pier One'. The next mistake was believing that AR was being good in said stores only to find out it was just a calm-before-the-storm senario. We had dinner at an Irish pub/restaurant and that's when it all went downhill. The thought was that she was really tired by then so she'd fall asleep and we could finish walking up and down the outdoor shops, etc etc. Nope. Things got ugly and we'll leave it at that.

Wednesday, however, the weather was nice and we went to the Zoo and was there for almost 4 hours. Autumn was amazingly great and enjoyed everything. She didn't want to leave she was having so much fun seeing all the animals (except for the monkeys...she doesn't like monkeys at all for some reason) We took some great photos and Autumn especially loved visiting the places of the zebras, giraffes, and elephants. That afternoon was wonderful with her as well as she was pretty much a joy and silly girl like usual.

G and I both felt a sense of wonderment at how different she was both days. G said it best when she told me: " it's so weird that one moment you just want to scream ARGH! and the next you have this funny adorable little girl which you can't get enough of."


Today mama went back to work and AR and I went to the Asian Market here in town. Believe it or not I haven't been there before although I've wanted to for some time. (it's alittle out of the way from work and home) I was in search mostly for some things for making my 'ma la hou gou' at the grocery markets but also wanted to check out some of the shops and such that are there. AR and I first went into a Chinese shop where they had an incredible amount of home decor items, clothing, and other knick-knack things. I got a shirt for myself and Autumn got a lovely yellow outfit complete with shoes to match. Autumn picked it out from two other colours of outfits the woman showed us. This woman absolutely loved Autumn. She asked that she was "from China, yes?" and I told her yes, from ChongQing. "ohhh I love you already little one!" she replied. After we picked out the outfit I asked Autumn what she says to the woman..."thank you!" Autumn says. Then I ask AR if she can tell her "xie xie!" "Xie Xie!" Autumn says to her and the woman smiles real big and tells her she's very welcome.

As we're paying for the clothing, another woman dotes on Autumn as well. The one gentleman there comes over and hands Autumn a very neat lollipop in the shape of a star. "thank you!" Autumn says and I mention to her to say thanks in Chinese again. "Xie Xie!" she says and the gentleman smiles and tells her "you're welcome beautiful girl" in Mandarin. Finally as we go to leave he tells me thanks for coming in and shopping there. After our pleasantries, he tells me and Autumn goodbye. I whisper to Autumn to tell him bye bye in Chinese..."zai jian". A very clear well pronounced "Zai Jian!" came out from Autumn and the biggest smile spread across the man's face. "Zai Jian!" he replies and waves to her. Even here apparently they love it when they see that the adopted children are learning and experiencing the language and culture of China. It made me feel good to see Autumn enjoying the interaction and looking at all the wonderful items they had.

We then ate a late lunch at one of the restaurants which I have to say was pretty good. I didn't get to carried away with my food selection however so.... Maybe another time. Afterwards we walked over to one of the grocers. I found some of the ingredients I wanted and also found the proper utencils for moving foods to and from the hot pot. If I were going to be making it this weekend I would have also picked up some fresh fish and meats along with some produce as they had a great selection and it all looked wonderful, but since I'm not I didn't. Once again...maybe another time.

Autumn had a great time with me there as I did with her. We'll definitely have to go back some weekend with mama.


No comments: